“The Leader in Me” – 7 Habits Initiative
In partnership with parents and community, the mission of Manatee Charter School is to prepare the next generation of leaders.
What is “The Leader in Me”?
- A process that helps develop the essential life skills and characteristics students need in order to thrive in the 21st century.
- Uses Stephen Covey’s, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People model, tailored to children and teachers in an educational setting.
- Currently has been rolled out to over 500 schools worldwide.
Why is it good for my children?
- Teaches skills needed to be successful in a global society like:
- Personal leadership – being accountable for actions and attitudes
- Initiative and self-discipline, making healthy choices
- Ability to work well with others, cross culturally and in teams
- Effective communication and listening skills
- Ability to solve complex problems and creative thinking skills
- Inspires greater self-confidence with a belief that every child can be a “leader of their own life”, has unique talents and can make a difference.
What types of results are expected?
- Increased academic achievement and decline in discipline problems
- Increased student self-confidence, improved social and life skills
- Increased student, teacher and parent satisfaction with their education
Current status on “The Leader in Me” initiative at MCS?
- Rolling out over a 3 year period
- Initial focus is on grades K-6
- Teachers being trained in the 7 Habits – “The Leader in Me” methods
- Parent support group initiated to support the process
How can I support the 7 Habits in the home?
- Look for “Friday Folder” information containing practical tips on how to role model the 7 Habits and teach them at home.
- Books: “The 7 Habits of Happy Kids”, “The Leader in Me”
- Websites: theleaderinme.org, seancovey.com, stephencovey.com.
Personal Leadership – Doing the right thing, even when no one is looking!